Glenavy, a protected structure, dates from around 1870 and is best known as the family home of the artist, Beatrice Elvery (Lady Glenavy), who’s original studio still exists to the rear of the house. The brief sought to replace the unsatisfactory non original interventions which had created a barrier between the house and the garden, with a new and distinctly contemporary architectural element which respected the character and architectural heritage of the original house.
The design sought to re-establish a direct relationship between the house and its surrounding gardens, creating new visual connections at ground as well as first floor level and direct assess from the new living spaces. The new intervention takes the form the new living spaces. The new intervention takes the form of a simple timber box with its materiality expressed differently internally and externally in a variety of different application and using different timber species.
Externally, 6m tall vertical charred larch slats wrap around the solid 2 storey box. To the rear, the larch forms a 'veil' across the full height windows of the master bedroom, providing privacy and preventing overlooking without compromising views of the gardens. Internally, muted tones contrast with the charcoal coloured exterior, with the deeply ingrained board marked in-situ concrete complimentary the exposed limed waxed Douglas Fir Floor joists and rafters, wall paneling and built in joinery.